The Goal of Learning Everything

Read.png

Recently, I wrote about my goal of learning everything. This is more than a tad ambitious, and probably impossible. Even learning a small fraction of everything can have huge benefits that ripple outwards towards every other area of life. Unfortunately, most people fall into a group I’ll call “functional” learners, and severely cut off their potential.

Functional Versus Lifelong Learning

Functional learning is learning with a purpose. I want to do X, so I need to know how to do Y. If you want to become a doctor, you need to study medicine. To do that, you usually need an undergrad in biology. For that, secondary and primary education are prerequisites. All of these are links in the functional learning chain.

Lifelong learning comes from a different approach. Instead of being driven from the top-down, it’s driven from the bottom-up. Lifelong learning suggests that learning anything is good, regardless of immediate results. So even if there is no functional learning to be done, you should pick up a book and start reading anyways.

Justifications for Lifelong Learning

The justifications for functional learning are easy. If your goal is important, you learn what you need to learn. If I want to become a professor, I need a graduate degree. It’s easy to justify spending time and money learning when the outcome is right in front of you.

The justification for lifelong learning isn’t as obvious. Lifelong learning feels important, but when you break it down to practical reality, it isn’t for most people. Most people see a far clearer return on investment for working more, socializing or entertainment than learning unnecessary subjects.

Lifelong learning, unfortunately, falls into a “should” category for most people. It’s something that they’ve been taught to believe is good, but can’t really support those feelings with a clear motivation. Going to the gym is another “should” in our society. We all know it’s important, but most people haven’t explicitly made the connection between exercise and daily energy levels, lifelong health and overall well-being. They know the destination exists, but the map is fuzzy.

I’d like to remove the fuzzy map between lifelong learning and why it is important, and to show you my justifications for spending time, energy and money on the pursuit.

Holistic Learning

For those of you who haven’t read my book, my free book or the most popular article on this website, I suggest you take a look. Holistic learning was a phrase I used to describe how smart people appeared to learn. Instead of bashing facts into their skull, every idea was woven into a set of existing understandings. Knowing Shakespeare helps you understand parts of chemistry which improves your understanding economics. Ideas are linked together instead of encoded like a computer.

Although I didn’t mention it, holistic learning actually provides the justification for spending hours of your day learning with no clear need to. When ideas are linked together, the facts themselves lose importance. What truly matters is the spaces between linked ideas. The understandings that arise as more than the sum of their parts.

When you learn a lot of seemingly unimportant subjects, you make connections. These connections work in the background to give you supporting knowledge to everything else you do. History, science, computer programming and art all provide a bigger foundation for understanding everything else.

These enhancements can be seen as one way of upgrading your brain. Your hardware doesn’t change much (although some evidence shows constant learning increases new neuron development). What really changes is the power of your software. With more ideas imprinted, your brain has more power than before.

Rejecting the Myth of the Full Cup

A popular notion in learning is the idea that your brain has a max capacity. In order to learn one thing, you must forget another. The mechanics for storing information in memory are still a hot topic of research, so while this might be the case, I have serious doubts.

My experience has shown the opposite. While knowledge does fade with time, that happens regardless of whether you learn or not. In fact, active learning helps keep those memories sharper. Far from being a cup, which once full, must empty contents to add more, your brain is closer to a muscle, which will wither and die without usage.

Why “Everything”, Shouldn’t You Focus on Strengths?

I’m a believer in the “T” model, which suggests you should have excellence in a small subset of areas and a general understanding in a broad area of knowledge. Focusing on your strengths is important, but it misses some of the benefits of lifelong learning. Your profession will usually hone your expertise in one area, it’s up to you to use your leisure time to explore everything else.

The main argument I have for learning from everything is that you’ll never know what you find. You can’t know whether a book will be useful until you’ve finished reading it. So sticking to one narrow domain limits you from a wide variety of opportunities.

Why is a Knowledge Foundation So Important?

What’s so important about being smart? Although there are other qualities more important than intelligence, I’d say most pale in comparison. If you have smarts (not just limited, academic smarts) you almost have superpowers over ordinary people. You can see the patterns that otherwise appear to be noise to everyone else.

Functional learning is a bit like exercising because you know you’re running in a race in two weeks. Not only does it fail to get you in shape in time for the race, it misses out on all the other benefits of exercising. In truth, the race doesn’t matter. What really matters is the healthy body that comes from exercising regularly.

Steps to Go From Functional to Lifelong

I can’t force you to switch learning styles. You need to find the motivation yourself. For me, the motivation to become a lifelong learner was great enough to build the habits to support it. If you are interested, here are a few habits to take that interest and make a commitment:

• Always have a book. It doesn’t matter whether it takes you a week or a year to finish, just always have one ready.
  • Wikipedia lunches. I’ve recently taken up the habit of reading random Wikipedia articles as I eat my lunch. It’s a great way to get 15 minutes of learning in without taking any time out of my schedule.
  • OpenCourseWare. I’ve taken a self-study course from MIT. Look for ones that have all the content online, so you can get started immediately.
  • Buy a Library Card. When you read dozens of books a year, the charges can expand. Go the library to save yourself the money.
  • Take obscure classes. Yeah, I know, you need to study for your finals and midterms. But that doesn’t mean you can’t take an evening dance, language or martial arts class.

44 Responses to “The Goal of Learning Everything”

1. Basu says:

I personally do what you might call directed functional learning: whenever I think that there is somethign that might be interesting to learn I try to find a project where I can apply what I intend to learn. Being in college, I try to get research opportunitites with professors who are working in things I am interested in.

2. Kevin Chan says:

I agree with you on the whole lifelong learning idea. In fact, I just wrote a blog post on cultivating a healthy reading habit.

One thing that I would have to disagree with you upon would be your idea of ‘wikipedia luches’ though. I instinctively go to wikipedia every time I have something that I don’t know enough about and I realize that if I allow myself too much time on Wikipedia, it results in a whole lot of wasted, less than productive time. Unless you can control yourself (but since I like learning so much, it can be difficult for me) that is.

Reading a book (electronic or paper) contributes to learning in a much more directed way I guess. Wikipedia is but discrete bits of information all over the place anyway.

Keep up the great posts Scott!

3. Charles says:

Excellent tips. I personally took a self-hypnosis two-day class last week-end. Thanks, Scott.

-Charles.

4. One important thing is following up learning with doing, or contributing. This is one mistake that many have learning for their own satisfaction or withdrawal from their responsibility.

I’d like to share an article here
    Do you make these mistakes in learning?

Thanks for a very thoughtful article.
    Robert

5. Thomas says:

Scott, have you read the book Brain Rules, by John Medina? If not, you should: it provides some scientific background to many things that you’ve discovered in practice, and is a good read overall.

Kevin,

Uncontrolled wikipedia reading isn’t productive, I’ll admit. But if you search the online encyclopedia at specific times when you can, I’ve found it an interesting way to add more learning.

7. Thor says:

“In order to learn one thing, you must forget another.”

It has happened to me that while learning a new language I forgot another, but only for the duration it took to come to grips with the new one, then I remembered the older one again and could count to ten in it without automatically swiching to the other.

So in my experience there is no limit to longterm memory, but while learning a new thing I certainly did experience another thing being pushed aside meanwhile. Perhaps this is where the misconception stems from.

8. Tim Brownson says:

Got to give you credit Scott you’re an amazing guy and one I have a great deal of respect for.

Very interesting post and I’d like to add one thing. I’m sure you do this anyway, but make sure sometimes you do NOTHING, meditating maybe? Eat your lunch whilst sitting outside or even inside but simply being in the moment.

I concur on the learning as well, my belief is that we can continue to learn new stuff without pushing the old out of the back!

BTW, have you read ‘Stumbling on Happiness’? Fabulous book, one of the best I have read in the last year or so.

Thor,

Good point. Languages may be an exception to my rule (at least in part). I’ve been told that if you aren’t frequently using a language you soon lose it. Although, I’ve also been told it is easier to refresh a language than to learn from scratch.

Tim,

True. Sometimes it is best to just do nothing. I enjoy taking walks, but everything can be a meditation.

10. Neniu Sclytrack says:

Personally I like keeping track of where I can find the information, I know that learning from a book in the library is probably cheaper but you might not have immediate access to that book later in life. When you purchase a book you have immediate access to its content (repetition here), and after you’ve learned it, you even know where you can find the information within that book. Because of the volatility of the human brain information and the location of that information should be combined.

On the other hand, maybe information and its location would be a bit too “functional”, followed by a smiley.

11. Achim Heger says:

In my past I sometimes felt bad about the fact, that I’m quite a generalist. So what do I REALLY know? A few years ago
    I found a good point about knowing a little about many things:

I know that XYZ exists and if I find an application for it at a later point in time I go for the details. I often start books (without finishing them) or scan them for the essence. I even have a subscription to a “service” where you get 4 page executive summary of business books, with a rating.

Since we are in the “information age” I believe that people who know how to filter and distill the essence out of complex topics will thrive. Times have changed and so has learning.

I’m always seeking ways to tune my mind and ways of thinking, feel free to drop me a line!

achim

12. Chandan Sharma says:

Eating is very important thing. I have experienced and observed through various sources that it’s scientifically wrong to have any distraction while having your food. Never watch Television, no newspapers or magazines during breakfast and no screen reading during whenever you are having food.

There is more about it that I can let you know, if you want to. I understand we have shortage of timing in our life and multi tasking has become a way of life for everyone. But for the four basic sources of energy should never be compromised. These are Food, Sleep, knowledge and breadth these are further very important to get us our Physical, Mental, Social and Spiritual balance.

Thanks,

Chandan

13. [...] previously written about my goal of learning everything.  I don’t see this as a passive hobby, but a crucial activity.  If you aren’t learning as [...]

14. ihsan says:

i’m always think..does curiousity lead to biggest big development in our goal?In some blog I stop,they said we can become like leonardo da vinci if we have high curiousity.Does it true for real?And for my request to you,can you make an article on how to become a curious learner?

15. Rondon says:

Thanks for the OpenCourseware link!

16. [...] The Goal of Learning Everything – “Even learning a small fraction of everything can have huge benefits that ripple outwards towards every other area of life. Unfortunately, most people fall into a group I’ll call ‘functional’ learners, and severely cut off their potential.” [...]

17. David Smith says:

I like this angle on lifelong learning. When you hear the term in the media it just sounds like learning your next job and that’s it. I read everything and each new subject seems a little easier. With true lifelong learning we will all develop “an old man’s eagle mind” (William Butler Yeats).

You’ve got a nice site here. A good variety of articles.

18. Rui Ferreira says:

Your article is very interesting in that you are trying to create an habit out of what is, in my case, a truly entrenched one. I love reading, I love to know new things. The problem is that, I don’t actually get to produce something new all the time I do so. Being a Maven has me on the wires because there is this deep down desire to build and create, and even if you take efforts to go into that direction, the pull of novelty and fresh information is sometimes too compelling in its own right to just let go. And so I go down the river of promises on the creativity front.

There is this paradigm of Focus I am still unable to fully grasp. I want to Focus more and do things instead of absorbing information all the time. Even in “The Four Hour Work Week” we are warned of all the dark consequences of information age. Even without Television (which I just turned of years ago) and Twitter (which I didn’t even go near), even by just paying attention to quality channels using RSS feeds and the like, even so, it seems that the never-ending river of information and knowledge is ripe of non-awareness.

Selective Ignorance is truly a skill one must use in this day and age of information. We either take a deep step to only use what we Really, Really need to produce our goals and just add some quality “other-things” feeds into our Maven God or we will lose our ground and be filled by the old habits of consuming craze we all so love.

I wonder how you plan to cope with the duality of Creation versus Consuming. Its not easy, its hard. 10 years ago the world was much more localized, must much more manageable, you talked about Libraries, yes, Libraries were The Sanctuaries of Knowledge of all knew, we didn’t have Internet as we have today, the plethora of things we all have now at the disposition of a finger is truly remarkable, but is also a dichotomy.

When we had just a small group of people, hanging around a club of two, having a Library nearby and getting together to talk about stuff in the evenings, we had a sense of self. It all made sense, when we wanted to go someplace we didn’t have multiple paths and multiple things to jolt on a mind-map to remind us we we’re human. No.

We just did it, we just lived with the Dream and got the pieces that mattered and were known on our own little world. Perhaps is was insufficient. But it was far, far more enjoyable. We Created things. Today we Consume.

Thank you.

19. Rapp says:

Verry intresting article.
    Do you have experience with “The School of Phenomenal Memory”?
    I bet you’ll like it. Google it.

20. Ram says:

You know what Scott, your ideas are amazing. I’m fascinated with your no-restrictions attitude to gain knowledge. I, like many others reading your articles, am greatly inspired. I think speed-reading, ‘have a book always’, ‘Wwkipedia-lunch’ are ideas that i’ll utilise lifelong.

21. Sarah says:

I have an important question: what do you really mean by your goal to “learn everything”? At the beginning of the article, you vaguely qualified that completeing such a task is “probably impossible.” Again, I’m not sure what this goal you have about “learning everything” is (I’m assuming you ultimately want to be a more enriched, conscientious being, etc) but, I can assert most definitely, since you cannot, that such goal is impossible to reach. I understand this only because I too have had similar aspirations.

There is one thing that you do not evade in the article, but that is also never really mentioned, and it is something which is necessary to understand: life is learning. Learning isn’t something that one can be encoraged or prodded to do, it is something that inevitably living things do do. Therefore, the definition of learning itself extends beyond an academics. And who says academic learning leads to ultimate spiritual fufillment or whatever?

On that academic level, I agree with you whole-heartedly that “lifelong learning” contributes to making one better oriented for living in modern society, but—and I’m sorry if I’m missing your whole point here, or not reading between the lines well enough—I am still concerned about the idea of learning “everything.” And not because any other discerning individual would

22. Sarah says:

think that the comment is a bit of an exteme generalization, because any understanding humans require is rlative to culture, society, information, etc… but isn’t okay, isn’t it the very essence of life to not understand everything? For new ideas and things and situations to be surfaced everyday?

Sorry if this has been too lengthy.

Sarah,

You can live without learning, or learning much. Learning is a function of the challenge and new experiences in your life, so my goal is to maximize that.

The goal isn’t so important as is the spirit.

24. Sarah says:

I get it! Thanks for shaking me out of my existential cocoon. (And sorry for my being so concerned with such a minute detail!).

25. This post relates to Walberg’s Motivational Behavior Study that all of us has goal and humans are willing to learn something even it takes time to attain something—-this means that all the actions we have has purpose. So, that is why we want to learn something in order to achieve something. Human beings are goal oriented and purposeful. We learn to act and act to achieve those goals in our lives. And through learning, we are feeding ourselves to new ideas that could generate inventions and discovery and thus, discovery will lead us to new heights being human beings. I think learning should not be hindered and not to be stopped. It should be nourished and be continuous.

26. Louis S. Gonzales says:

Hello Sir,
    My name is Louis Gonzales, and I am a Biology student at St. Mary’s university at San Antonio, Texas. I’am having a hard time studying for my MCAT right now. See, whenever I am trying to learn in class, It takes me forever to learn. I feel as if I spend twice as long as the other students studying. Overall, I believe the main reason for this to be my studying habits. I in any class usually record the material on a audio recorder, because I have a hard time keeping up with writing what the teacher is saying. Then I spend the majority of my day writing the notes of what my various professors have said. But, I don’t think I’am taking notes right, because sometimes it feels as if I am just writing the notes and not overall learning the material. Then when my professor gives us time to study for a test or something I then use my perfectly written notes and cram most of the information in a week. Then I do the same thing over again. I at first thought this was ok, yet I had a scary realization in a class that I have not really learned anything the three years I have been at St.Marys. I was wondering what book would be the best book for me and what words of wisdom you might have to help me. My main goal in life is too be a doctor and it seems now that I will have to wait a year after graduation to go into medical school since I just can’t seem to retain information. Yet, with the year I might be able to self study in prep for med school and use any material you have to help me better myself.

27. kok ming says:

Wikipedia lunches.

Its is seriously not recommended to mix reading with lunches. They do not go well. Just enjoy your meal is more important. Its mealtime, so just focus on everything about the food. Reading wilipedia? save it for another time slot.

28. Jef Menguin says:

Thank you Scott for another valuable insights. I am a lifelong learner too.

29. ahmed says:

1.I agree with Chandan Sharma , reading while eating could be wrong except if you already know the amount of food you are eating ..

2.I have no doubt that ‘your brain is like a muscle ,if you don’t use it ;you will lose it’

3.I am going with idea of learning :
    a.100% considering my Career and professional life
    b.80% considering my interests and hobbies
    c.30-50% considering other things

30. Nicely written. You really touched on something about reading and learning. I have had hundreds of different jobs and have learned numerous things in my life. At twelve years old I heard something speak to me in my head. (According to my mother at seven months or so, I was speaking about things that were metaphysical which I said my golden friend told me about. I would sit on the floor and cross my legs and close my eyes and become quiet for long periods of time.) Anyway. I have taken a few classes from college and many private teachers. I am constantly learning. I except that while I am in the body I know I must use it for my overall well being until the next lifetime comes about. As a Meditation teacher I teach the importance of taking time every day to quiet the mind through daily Meditation. I have studied about the Buddha, William James, twelve years of study with Spiritualist mediums etc. My opinion is that the mind itself is restless and is in search of rest or Nirvana and when the mind is quiet then you may have the opportunity to understrand all things but not necessarily explain it all at once.For instance: Buddha’s eighty four thousand teachings regarding the attainment of Enlightenment are contained in the declaration
    “Om Mani Padme Hum.” Go figure. :0)

31. Juanita says:

Hi Scott (and other readers)

I am loving your blogs so far

I must say that I love the idea of being a lifelong learner, I plan on being one myself. However I must say that my concept of a lifelong learner is a little different to yours (or it seems so from your description)
    In my view a lifelong learner is someone who is open minded and willing to learn from all possible situations from all kinds of people, and is willing to develop with new incormation.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that there is almost no possible situation in which a person can not learn so long as they are willing to and open to the possibility, for example watching a movie with friends may slow you to learn some random info from or about the movie, or peoples behavior or interests or attention spans or many other things, and that’s just while watching a movie, imagine the possible learnings we can get from a more interactive setting.

I believe that one barrier to lifelong learning is the concept that academic learning is ‘the’ form of learning. Dw I know this isn’t you. And the concept or belief that a teacher is a older expert (invert stereotypes) for example I recently learnt how to weld, I did this by asking a 14year old to show me how, I also recently learnt how to snowboard. I did this through trial and error then improved by getting tips from fellow snow boarders on the mountain.

There are so many things to learn and so many ways to do so. I find asking people about the things that they are Pasionate about is a very fast and efficient way to learn alot.

I also know many people who highly recommend traveling as a massive cultural learning experience (and alot of fun).
    And I enjoy watching you tube, I might learn about how babies learn to talk, or about genomes and our ability to change our genes, or how to steal a car or just that I should wear a helmet if I decide to scateboard.

Anyways I’m loving this blog and I look forward to having some interesting discussions with the people here. :)

32. rahul says:

this blog really changed my view about learning,great work,Scott.

33. Hamza says:

The lifelong learning approach reminds me of the Steve Jobs speech at Stanford university. He said:

“You can’t connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something — your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life.”

Although this style of learning doesn’t have any clear destination, It’s all about the journey!
    Thanks for the article Scott.

34. David says:

Hey i love ur concept of how smart people learn. I have adhd and dysgraphia ( weak visual-spatial skills not motor) ocd and depression.
    I do try in school but have to though… I’m 16 BTW. Em a pure holistic learner since i was born and i learn at a slow pace but when i understand something i keep it! I am a auditory/kinestetic learner and a d- dominant brain. Now… i am almost a replica of u( so it seams) i aim for business as entrepreneur and i watch MIT courses online ( coincidence). i have a the same view on lifelong learning. I have trouble in school because i teach myself almost everything so i consider the info the teacher says and decide whether to accept it or shun it. When i think i constantly associate change my perspective on EVERYTHING so i ask too many akward questions, teachers get me pissed off if they make me ask only ask “relevant questions” and shut me up. I hate school soooooo much its terrible. this is the only way i can learn since i have memory impairment(adhd) and heavily rely on my visual skills ( week). I read in your eBook on holistic learning that you took a chemistry test and got first place, i lolled… i was absent for two and a half weeks and took a chem test that i was lost. I used the same method you wrote and got an 80 ( not as impressive as you though).

My question is how do improve my visual ability:
    I am best at math science and creative thought ( making a speech in the moment), these require visual skills that i lack. I have dysgraphia because this… Thought i am able to manage allot with my limitations i can do much better when i improve my visual ability. BTW i can barely make images or figures in my mind, i simply think how something would happen and i can predict without seeing detailed pictures.

another question is how can i be more holistic. I haven’t been doing well in school as a result of being linear( forgot how to be as holistic because i get anxiety in class and i forget how to be me) Any advice for a person that already knows how it works, just a way i will get automatically without a huge deal of thought.

I plan on getting some of ur books or just the one for holistic learning. I appreciate your simple but brilliant thoughts on intelligence, life, and self-motivation. You need a magazine!! I hope i didn’t bore u too much. I lost my self in all the crap that is my sad life and am aiming for a huge future. Any advice should help, coming from a mind as yours best of wishes

– David A

35. Michael says:

I know everything already.

36. [...] had some detractors as I outlined specifically what it implied and what it didn’t. I wrote a similar post which had fewer detractors because few people could clearly imagine an opposing [...]

37. Jackson Martin says:

I have to say that for the last couple of hours i have been hooked by the amazing posts on this site. Keep up the wonderful work.

38. [...] the learning process is impressive and inspiring. It’s not just that through his particularly holistic approach to learning he has managed to achieve almost super-human goals, like mastering the entire 4-year MIT curriculum [...]

39. Rock zhang says:

Good idea of that our brain is not cup but muscle!
    Now I am going to “T”, my nail is too short and being polished.
    Before read this, I have done most of your suggestions.
    I seems that we are in the same direction!
    Look forward to your more articles!

40. John Yu says:

I’m sure someone has already said this before, but the more you try to learn everything, the less likely you are to get good at any 1 thing, and there’s more satisfaction to being good at 1 thing than mediocre at many. I used to have an ambition to study several foreign languages, but eventually focused on one (Chinese). After 5 or 6 years of effort, I’m now not only proficient, but make a living as a translator and can read classical literature in the original. If I had tried to learn everything, I might be able to order a hamburger in 10 different countries, but that’s about it.

41. Jaya says:

Scott H Young,

You my friend, are a legend.

The analogies you use to describe holistic learning are artful. I believe that those aware of the structure of the mind are able to use this to their advantage, mnemonically and associatively.

The structure of the subjective mind is simple, it is a network of associations. In my perspective, intellectual curiosity underpins life long learning; without a genuine interest in every facet of all things, lifelong learning becomes functional learning or merely a process by which one can become intelligent, in my opinion it is genuine curiosity that births intelligence.

I have an issue I would like your opinion on, how do I begin to develop a fundamental and natural relationship with number. I find the use of math as a language incredibly complex although beautifully descriptive. I believe that it may be due the way that math is taught in a realm of abstractions could be a causal factor to my stunted capacity with math. As a holistic learner, I absorb information most efficiently when it links into a network of ideas. Perhaps I should use visual proofs or something to help me digest mathematical theorems?

I start study next month, I will be studying some math and statistics, so hopefully it will be an opportunity to pump some mathematical brain iron.

42. Dakota says:

I wasn’t always the best student in highschool and it wasn’t because I couldn’t grasp ideas but the fact I was forced to learn them. Since I graduated in 2010 my life has drastically changed and so have my views. I formed a habit of asking myself questions and those questions soon become layers of questions. (Simple example) How do plants bear fruit? Why do some plants even bear fruit? How does a plant know animals will carry off with their fruit? And so on and so on. I kept asking myself questions and kept trying to find answers. I wouldn’t say I have a goal to learn but a thirst to. I’m not selective and often find myself dipping into multiple subjects daily. Sadly I don’t find many people like myself, and most people have no interest in all of the awesome things i’ve learned or better yet I have no interest in the media gossip they are. You talk about having super powers and with great power, to me, comes with great burden. I feel that few people have true understanding and those people don’t even care to understand. I guess passion is my greatest strength and greatest weakness. I feel alone, and that’s kind of how I found your artical. I’ve wanted to apply for school but I also I have pretty bad anxiety. I fear the cost, the commitment and ultimately the job market. Above all of those things, I don’t want to learn one thing I want to learn everything! I am not a religious man and I believe my purpose in life is to learn as much as I possibly can before I die. I appreciate everything so much more but on the flip side I hate a lot more things too. I’m thankful to have found your artical and know there are people out there just like me.

43. Mpho says: