Our podcast has now reached 100 episodes! To mark the occasion, I recorded a conversation with my good friend, Cal Newport, author of the bestsellers Deep Work, Digital Minimalism and So Good They Can’t Ignore You.
Some of my favorite parts:
- 5:45 – What are the biggest misconceptions about becoming an author or academic?
- 11:45 – What aspiring authors need to know, and how this applies to all careers.
- 17:00 – The change in Disney movies, what this says about our culture, and why it leads to dissatisfaction.
- 28:00 – The difference between potential and results (and how this shifts as you age).
- 35:00 – Unexpected life changes following fatherhood
- 37:20 – Cal Newport’s best productivity advice.
- 41:20 – Why Cal doesn’t get invited to give commencement speeches anymore…
- 50:40 – The intriguing book idea Cal had (but never wrote).
Did You Know About the Podcast?
Quietly, we’ve been releasing new podcast episodes, twice a week, for several months. Our episodes are a mix of shorter episodes I cover from the blog, interviews like this one and discussions on some of my favorite books.
If you enjoy listening to podcasts and want a twice-weekly dose of ideas and inspiration, you can find me on any of the podcasting apps:
Rate my podcast
Would you like to see more episodes like this? Rating the podcast helps other people find out about it, and helps us host more conversations like this one. I’d love your support to help the podcast grow!