Popular Posts by Themes
Any posts related to learning languages better.
- Why Learn “Useless” Things?
- The Paradox of Success and The Only-72
- Problem Solving Toolkit: 33 Tricks to Answer Tough Problems
Changing how you think about life.
Articles by Date
2017 • June
- Do You Need Self-Discipline to Have Fun?
- How Much Do You Really Understand?
- The Essential Education: If You Had Ten Years to Learn Anything, What Would You Do?
2017 • May
- Multiply or Add?
- Book Club: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (June 2017)
- New Project: Level Up Korean with Five Hours Per Week
- Should You Listen to Music While Studying, The Pi Model and Learning How to Learn w/ Dr. Barbara Oakley
- Chaos, Ignorance and Newton’s Great Puzzle
2017 • April
- The most common misconception about learning
- Want to Learn History? Read Biographies, Not History Books
- The Problem of Happiness
2017 • March
2017 • February
- Some Useful Distinctions When Thinking About Your Career
- Book Review: The Wisdom of Insecurity
- Simplicity Beats Nuance: Why the Wrong Answer Can Often Beat the Correct One
- Should You Set Deadlines for Your Goals?
- What’s More Productive: Counting Hours or Tasks Accomplished?
2017 • January
2016 • December
2016 • November
- The Hard, But Effective Way to Learn a New Language
- Back to China: Thoughts on Business, Culture and Language Learning in Beijing
- How is Ultralearning Different?
- Advice Reversals
2016 • October
- What Should Your Goals Be?
- Fluency vs Mastery: Can You Be Fluent Without Being Good?
- Should You Try Learning More Than One Thing at a Time?
- How Should I Learn Cognitive Science?
2016 • September
- Learning What Can’t Be Taught
- Three Strategies for Behavior Change
- Lesson #1: An Unusual Approach to Improve Your Ability to Focus
2016 • August
- New Ultralearning Project: Can You Learn to Draw Realistic Portraits in One Month?
- I’m 28
- The Irony of Focus: Why Doing Only One Thing Actually Lets You Do More
- How to Start Your Own Ultralearning Project (Part Two)
2016 • July
- How to Start Your Own Ultralearning Project (Part One)
- Should Learning Be Hard?
- A Simple Strategy for Getting Better at Things
2016 • June
- The Problem with Advice
- How to Read More Books
- How Much Theory Should You Learn for Practical Skills?
- Genes and Free Will
2016 • May
2016 • April
- What We’ve Learned from Top Performer: Free Lesson Series
- Ultralearning Matters More After Graduation
- What’s the Difference Between Learning an Art and a Science?
- There Are No Hard Subjects, Only Missing Prerequisites
- Ultralearning Case Study: Learning Cognitive Science
2016 • March
- Which Ideas are Overrated?
- With the World’s Knowledge a Click Away, We Spend Our Time Looking at Funny Pictures of Cats
- If You Had 15 Days to Learn Calculus, How Would You Do It?
- Career Planning and the Dao
- How I Became a Full-Time Blogger: Reflections on Ten Years of ScottHYoung.com
2016 • February
- How to Get Great Value from Information Products
- How I Choose Projects
- Are Anti-Vaxxers Rational? More Thoughts on the Power of Copying
- Is Rationality Overrated? What an 18th Century Medical Mystery Can Tell Us About the Power of Blind Copying
2016 • January
- At What Age is it No Longer Okay to Be Bad at Something?
- Deep Work
- Should You Use Deliberate Practice… Or Just Practice?
- What I’ve Been Reading
2015 • December
- The Bicycle Problem: How the Illusion of Explanatory Depth Tricks Your Brain
- How Much Free Will Do You Have?
- Should You Know Your IQ?
2015 • November
- Failures of Intensity
- Getting Better at Figuring Things Out
- What Does it Mean to Work Hard?
- Beware of “Magic Bullet” Thinking
2015 • October
- The Mathematics of Perseverance: The Formula to Help You Decide Whether to Strive or Settle
- Top Performer is Now Open
- How to Be So Good They Can’t Ignore You – Free, Live Webinar with Cal Newport
- If you want to be an author, don’t start writing (and other strangely useful career advice)
2015 • September
- When is it Good To Be a Hypocrite?
- Everyone is Trying to Sell You Something
- Here’s Some Things I’ve Changed My Mind About
- Three Ways to Fix a Stubborn Habit
- How Much Stress Do You Need for Success?
2015 • August
- How I’m Continuing to Learn (and Hopefully Master) Chinese
- I’m 27
- The Two Ways to Evaluate Ideas
- The Isomorphism of Ideas
2015 • July
- Is There Value in Ideas You Can’t Remember?
- Why Focusing Can Often Feel Lazy
- Don’t Be Afraid to Go at Your Own Pace
- Building, Searching and the Algorithm for Finding the Best Spouse
2015 • June
- Learning on Steroids is Open (For the Last Time)
- How to Stop Forgetting What You Read
- I Told My Friend Not to Start a Business. Here’s Why…
- Being Honest with Yourself is Hard
2015 • May
- You Don’t Pay Enough for Information
- How to Build Habits of Moderation
- Should You Accept Your Constraints or Try to Improve Them?
- Why the Smartest People Don’t Always Give the Best Advice: The Importance of Local Wisdom
2015 • April
- My New TEDx Talk: One Simple Method to Learn Any Language
- Are You Trying to Be Too Original? What I Learned About the Value of Imitation from China
- Paradoxical Virtues
- How to Build the Habit of Finishing What You Start
2015 • March
- Why is it So Hard to Create Permanent Habits?
- Which Skills Should You Master?
- Be Bold, Presumptuous and Stop Caring About What Others Think
- Watch us Speak all Four Languages in Three Minutes
2015 • February
- Are There Books You Should Reread Every Year?
- When the Less Efficient Method Gets the Job Done Faster
2015 • January
- Should You Do Intense, Short-Term Projects, or Build Long-Term Habits?
- I Was Wrong About Speed Reading: Here are the Facts
- Watch Me Rap in Korean
- Why You Need Mentors (and Why You Don’t Have Them Yet)
2014 • December
- Should You Maintain an (Almost) Empty Reading Queue?
- Improve Creative Skills by Reducing Degrees of Freedom
- Different Kinds of Difficulty
- Knowing Facts Still Matters (Even in an Age of Wikipedia)
- Two Ways to Think About Career Fulfillment
2014 • November
- Easily Distracted? Use Orienting Tasks While Learning.
- The Fear of Going Soft
- Bias is Inescapable
- Why I’m Skeptical About SRS for Conceptual Subjects
- Make Plans Work on 20% Effort
2014 • October
- Build Your Morning Habits First
- The Stupidity of Cutting Sleep
- How Do You Make a Good Analogy?
- Pick Three Things. Now Do Them Well
- Why do Engineers Think They’ll Be Good at Picking Stocks?
- Is it Better to Review Back or Learn Ahead?
- How I’m Maintaining the Ability to Speak Six Languages
- Why Learn “Useless” Things?
2014 • September
- Choose: Growth or Consistency
- Learning on Steroids is now open
- How to Increase Your Ability to Focus
- Korean Final Update
- Looking Back at a Year (Almost) Without English
2014 • August
2014 • July
- Does Speaking Another Language Change How You Think?
- Korean Halfway Update
- How Many Hours of Preparation Do You Need to Learn a Language Abroad?
- Why You’re Probably Not Working as Much as You Think You Are
2014 • June
- Guest Posts I’ve Done About Learning Chinese
- Learning Chinese over 3½ Months | 12-Min Documentary
- How I Plan to Learn Korean Differently than Chinese
2014 • May
2014 • April
- How Much Harder is Learning Chinese Than Spanish?
- The Three-Step Strategy to Study Hard Without Burning Out
- Why Braintraining Games are Silly
2014 • March
- Never Be Too Pleased With Your Past Work
- Learning Portuguese Over 2 Months + 1 Week
- I Was Wrong About China: A First Two Weeks in China (and Chinese)
2014 • February
2014 • January
- Don’t Think For Yourself
- Are Blogs Better Than Books for Mastering Complex Ideas?
- Things Worth Knowing Well, Things Worth Knowing Poorly
2013 • December
- Things Worth Knowing, Even Poorly
- Chicken Hearts and Glass Explosions: A First Week in Brazil
- Learning Spanish in 11 Weeks | 10-Min Documentary
- My Spanish After Three Months
2013 • November
- How Do You Learn a New Language, Without Forgetting the Old One?
- Should I Have Done the MIT Challenge Over 4 Years?
2013 • October
- Bold Moves are Often Easier than Small Ones
- How to Learn Boring Subjects
- The 7 Most Common Learner Mistakes
- How I’m Learning Spanish
- You Don’t Need to Be Rich to Travel
2013 • September
- Why You Shouldn’t Learn a Language the Way Children Do
- The Importance of Knowing What You Know
- Thoughts on the First Week Without Speaking English
- I’m 25
2013 • August
- My Next Project – The Year Without English
- Learning on Steroids is now open (until August 22nd)
- Free Learn Faster 1-Week Bootcamp
2013 • July
- Watch Out for “Good” Ideas
- Why Your IQ Matters Less Than You Think
- How to Execute a Successful Side Project
2013 • June
- Is Free University the Future?
- Should You Learn Physics Like Newton? Contrasting Expert and Beginner Learning Strategies
- How to Use Feedback
- What’s Your Growth Ratio?
2013 • May
- How Much Specialization?
- A Step-by-Step Process to Teach Yourself Anything (in a Fraction of the Time)
- Break Your Map
2013 • April
2013 • March
- Which Learning Methods Actually Work?
- Catch-22s and Bootstrapping Your Life
- What Matters More: Your Network or Skills?
- Why You Should Read Textbooks
2013 • February
- Self-Discipline Comes First
- WordSmith – Building a Program that Plays Scrabble
- “It’s Who You Know”
- Two Types of Growth
2013 • January
- Flow Doesn’t Maximize Improvement
- Rethinking “Learn it Once”
- Could Obsessive Research Be the Cure for Procrastination?
- What are the Intellectual Ideas Everybody Should Know?
2012 • December
- Is Getting Rich Worth It?
- What I Would Change About the MIT Challenge
- The Interview Method: Why Our Assumptions About Success Are Often Wrong
2012 • November
- Why the Risky Options Can Sometimes Be the Safest
- Should You Pursue Your Dream, Even if You’ll Probably Fail?
- Why the Fuss Over Lectures?
2012 • October
- Learning on Steroids is Now Open
- Double your output (while working fewer hours)
- Free Learn Faster Bootcamp (Starts Tomorrow)
- Why Focus (not Effort) is the Key to Getting Stuff Done
- Paris Meetup and Upcoming Bootcamp
- Why You’re Lazy (and How to Fix It)
2012 • September
- The MIT Challenge is Complete
- One Week Left in the MIT Challenge
- Don’t Follow Your Passion
- The Beginner’s Guide to Learning to Program
2012 • August
2012 • July
- How to Lead an Interesting Life and Still Get Stuff Done
- How to Learn Really Hard Courses
- Should You Learn New Skills or Master Old Ones?
- The DIY Degree: Using Self-Education to Earn a Bachelor’s Degree in 1 Year
2012 • June
- TEDx – Can You Get an MIT Education for Less than $2000?
- Wanting the Right Things
- Nonconformers Need Better Social Skills
2012 • May
- Why Should Life Be Simple?
- The Strangeness of Everyday Things
- The Laziness Paradox: Embrace Your Weaknesses to Accomplish More
2012 • April
2012 • March
- Are Habits the Enemy of Mastery?
- Why Does Most Career Advice Suck?
- Can You Learn Faster Without School?
2012 • February
- Just Finish It
- What Matters More, Marketing or Mastery?
- The Sex Scandal Technique: How to Achieve Any Goal, Instantly (and Party with Tim Ferriss)
2012 • January
2011 • December
- Two Types of Advice
- Thoughts on Learning a Degree, Without Going to School
- Swimming Upstream Against Your Destiny
2011 • November
- How to Stay Focused (Without Extra Caffeine)
- Does Enjoyment Trump Efficiency?
- Do What Others Won’t or Can’t Do
- Why Learn Math?
- First Lessons in Trying to Finish 4 Years of MIT in 12 Months
2011 • October
2011 • September
- Learning 4 Years of MIT in 12 Months
- Living Closer to Reality
- The “Single Flaw” Fallacy
- Learning on Steroids is Open
- Learn Faster with the Feynman Technique
2011 • August
- Cynicism is Easy, Optimism Takes Guts
- I’m 23
- Why You’re Exhausted But Not Improving
- Developing an Appetite for Hard Ideas
- Completing an MIT Physics Class in 4.5 Days?
2011 • July
- The Skill of Trying Your Best
- Step One is Showing Up
- Is Obsession a Prerequisite for Success?
- Rethinking Talent
2011 • June
- Why It’s Hard Not to Be a Hypocrite
- The Danger of “-isms”
- The Paradox of Success and The Only-72
- Losing Yourself
- Happily Ever After
2011 • May
- Living Longer by Stretching Psychological Time
- Could You Walk Away From $8 Million in Easy Money?
- Welcome Study Hacks Readers!
- Getting Good: How I’m Trying to Be a Better Writer
- Welcome Zen Habits Readers!
- Seven Unconventional Ideas for Getting the Most Out of College
2011 • April
- Why Honest People Cheat
- Is What You Learn in School Really Useless?
- We Become the Story We Tell Ourselves
- What if Luck Matters More than Effort?
2011 • March
- How to Juggle Pursuits and Still Get Stuff Done
- Philosophical Tourism
- When Will the Web Transform Education?
- World Travel or Finding Passion Won’t Escape Who You Are
2011 • February
2011 • January
- Asking the Right Questions
- Unconventional Meet-up in Winnipeg and Do You Need School?
- A Brief Guide to Learning Faster (and Better)
- Day Jobs vs Side Projects
2010 • December
- Berlin Meetup and Best Posts of 2010
- Needing Encouragement is a Weakness
- When You Should Fix Your Weaknesses
- Staying in School Forever
2010 • November
- Subscription Popups: Your Thoughts?
- Routine is the Enemy of Good
- Don’t Know What You Want?
- The Obvious Choice is Often the Worst: Why People Fail Choosing Jobs, Classes and Dates
2010 • October
- Does Dreaming Smaller Result in Living Happier?
- If Not Now, Then When?
- Fear is Good
- Should You Plan to Retire?
2010 • September
- Feeling Lost? Stop Worrying About Your “Life Purpose”
- Learn Faster, Achieve More
- Silencing the Background Noise of Life
- Should Future Entrepreneurs Go to College?
- Is it Possible to Ace University Exams Without Studying?
- Don’t Follow Your Passion, Do Less to Achieve More and The Magic of the Failed-Simulation Effect
- Here’s What’s Wrong with Self-Help
2010 • August
- My Upcoming Video Course, Learning on Steroids and Vancouver Meet-Up
- I’m 22
- Discipline Can Make You Good, Not the Best
- Should You Use Scarcity Thinking When Making Big Life Decisions?
2010 • July
- Why I’ve Decided to Be Wrong More Often
- You Can’t Set Goals to Fix Your Flaws
- How to Find What You’re Passionate About (And Get Paid For It)
- Is Being Rich Important for Living the Ideal Life?
2010 • June
- Life Lessons from One Year in France
- Manageable Awfulness and How to Let Bad Things Happen
- Should You Strive to Live Happily or to Live Good?
- Society’s Attention Deficit – Praise for Deep Thinking in the Era of Shallowness
2010 • May
- How Fast are You Running to Stay in the Same Place?
- Mental Aikido: The Necessity of Unhappiness in the Ideal Life
- Are You Living Life or Just Planning Your Biography?
- Should You Waste More of Your Time?
- Should an Atheist Be Reading the Great Books of Religion?
2010 • April
- Inconvenient Conveniences – Is Easier Always Better?
- If You’re So Smart, Why is Your Life Still a Mess?
- Will Reaching the Ideal Life Make You any Happier?
- My Thoughts on Learning to Speak Another Language
- Case Studies: Help Me Write My Next Book
2010 • March
- Do You Use “Lack of Motivation” as an Excuse?
- Could You Sell Who You Are in 30 Seconds?
- Pragmatic Optimism: How Your Fears and Doubts Can Allow You to Succeed
- Why Goal-Setting Can Leave You Miserable
- I’m Reopening My Rapid Learning Tactics Program
- Does Thinking About the Ideal Life Actually Lead to Living One?
- Society Doesn’t Care that You’re Good at World of Warcraft
- Reader Meet-Up in Paris?
- Should You Wander the World or Build a Home?
- You’re Lazier Than You Think
2010 • February
- Is the Ideal Lifestyle Designed or Earned?
- Why Self-Educated Learners Often Come Up Short
- Welcome ZenHabits Readers!
- Why Most People are Happier Working than in Their Free Time
- My Elusive Quest to Complete a Handstand Pushup
- How to Conquer Your Fears – Engineer a Low Cost of Failure
- Perfectionism Isn’t Bad (In the Long-Term)
- Does the Ideal Life Depend on Your City?
- Stop Using Guilt as a Motivation Tactic
2010 • January
- The Serious Pursuit of Fun
- Living on the Edge of Incompetence
- How to Find Your Productivity Achilles’ Heel
- My Mistakes and Triumphs in Learning a Foreign Language
- Friday Links
- Sleeping Enough is More Important Than Early-Rising
- Why You Should Ignore Passive Income
- Learning on Steroids Sells Out in 36 Minutes!
- Too Much Work? Here’s How to Handle It
- Want Better Results for 2010? Commit to Fewer Things
2009 • December
- What if You Never Graduate?
- The Frustration Barrier – The Key Obstacle to Being Good at Anything
- 9 Tactics for Rapid Learning (That Most People Have Never Heard Of)
- Do You Need Friends That Think Like You?
- Friday Links
- The Crowd is Stupid (You Don’t Need Genius to Beat Them)
- Do People Want Riches to Buy Stuff or Status?
- Friday Links
- Is Employment Always a Bad Thing?
- My Five Favorite Inspirational Films
- Friday Links
- Know Which Stairs to Climb (Or How I Trained to do a Pistol Squat)
2009 • November
- People Don’t Want Experts
- Are Passions Discovered or Constructed?
- The 10 Really Obvious Ways to Be More Productive
- Coming Soon: Learning on Steroids
- What if You Have More Than One Passion?
- Why Most People Give Up and Fail
- Friday Links
- The Joy of Cooking Meals From Scratch
- How to Get More From Life – Free EBook
- New Reader Survey
- Exclusive Webcast: Chat with Ramit and Scott, Live
- How to Earn More, Save Better and Be Rich
2009 • October
- Friday Links
- Why the World is Actually Getting Better
- My Progress in Becoming Bilingual
- Friday Links
- Don’t Quit Your Day Job
- Success Requires Hard Work (But Not All in One Day)
- Friday Links
- Why I Hate Self-Help Platitudes
- Fitness is an End Unto Itself
- Friday Links
- Don’t Work 9-5
- Think Outside the Cubicle – Released!
2009 • September
- Can You Spot These 7 Broken Nutrition Arguments?
- Why Vegetarian?
- Friday Links
- Decide What’s Unimportant to You
- 15 Things I Wish I Knew
- Friday Links
- The Importance of Being Likable
- The Art of the Small Start
- How to Chip Away at Your List of Necessities
- The Pleasure of Living Within Constraints
- I’ve Arrived in France
- Accepting Your Inner Slacker
- Should Your Twenties Be for Work or Play?
2009 • August
- New Website Design
- Staying in the Game
- Loneliness and the Unconventional Life
- Friday Links
- I’m 21
- Do You Trust Your Productivity System?
- Friday Links
- The First Step and the Thousandth
- The Reason People are Unhappy in Relationships
- If You Want to Be Fit, Don’t Buy New Running Shoes
- I’m Back From Europe
2009 • July
- What MMORPGs Can Teach You About Physical Fitness
- Why I’m Not Trying to Build Passive Income
- The Top 20 Motivation Articles at ScottHYoung.com
- How to Draw (and Other Life Lessons)
- Know Your Burn Rate, and Why it Sabotages You Before You Begin
- Ruthless Focus and the Art of Saying No
- What are You Going to be Exceptional at in 10 Years?
- How to Meet Interesting People
- How to Achieve a Goal (If You Don’t Know Where to Start)
2009 • June
- Showing Up and Deliberate Inconsistency
- I’ll Be In Europe for One Month
- Show Up, Every Day
- The Art of Nonconformity
- Friday Links
- How to Set Goals, Without Being Obnoxious
- Why I Stopped Setting Long-Term Goals
- How to Escape the Toxic Friends Holding You Back
- Update on My Goal to Learn French
- Friday Links 09-06-05
- How to Kick Yourself Out of a Slump
- How to Change a Habit – Expansion
2009 • May
- Friday Links 09-05-29
- What the Heck is Spirituality?
- Consistency is an Overrated Virtue
- Don’t Burn Your Ships
- How to Increase Your Creative Output
- Friday Links 09-05-15
- Vidcast #1 – My Goals
- The Time to Start a Business is in Your Twenties
- How to Watch Television Effectively
- Criticism and Praise are the Same
- Friday Links 09-05-01
2009 • April
- Escape the Bad Learning Habits You Picked Up at School
- Be a Rockstar, Not a Record Label: Build an Unscalable Business
- Aggressive Learning
- Website Redesign, Survey Results, and Help Name my Next Book
- Taoism and the Art of Productivity
- You Are Going to Lose Everything Eventually
- Survey is Back Online
- A Quick Survey and a Gift For You!
- Restricting Yourself
- Financial Freedom
2009 • March
- The Effort Threshold
- Friday Links 09-03-27
- How I’m Creating an Emergency Fund with One Year of Income
- Execution is More Important Than Planning
- Don’t Swim in the Shallow Waters
- Ask the Readers: Advice for Learning a Foreign Language
- Honest Self-Evaluation
- The 10 Best Self-Help Books (That Aren’t Self-Help)
- Friday Links 09-03-06
- How to Build a Solid Foundation for Self-Improvement
- Humility is More Important Than Confidence
2009 • February
- You Don’t Need to be a Geek to Start an Online Business
- Average Doesn’t Mean Secure
- Friday Links 09-02-20
- Walk Slowly So You Don’t Trip
- In Praise of Solitude
- Just Because It Won’t Cost Money, Doesn’t Make It Free
- The Magic of Small Steps
- Friday Links 09-02-06
- Fear of Loss
- The Power of Curiosity
2009 • January
- The Evils of Partial Boredom
- Boredom is the Enemy
- Friday Links 09-01-23
- Say Hi
- How I’m Learning to Stop Worrying
- You Only Know What You Measure
- Consciousness Explained
- $10,000 Ideas
- Goal Addiction
- Steady, Incremental Improvement is a Myth
2008 • December
- Life Balance is Overrated
- Friday Links 08-12-26
- The Power of Less
- How to Be More Social
- How to Read Books You Disagree With
- It’s Okay to be Unhappy
- Friday Links 08-12-12
- Positive Thinking
- The Power of Overkill
- How to Get More Time to Sleep
2008 • November
- Friday Links 08-11-28
- Boost Productivity With a To-Don’t List
- How to Nap (Without Feeling Exhausted Afterwards)
- How to Know When to Take a Break
- Friday Links 08-11-14
- How to Discover What You’re Passionate About
- How Much Time Do You Spend on Your Most Important Goals in Life?
- Personal Excellence Comes First
- Get My Stuff For Cheap…
2008 • October
- Is Reading Making You Stupid?
- Should You Try to Make Money?
- Friday Links 08-10-24
- Itchy Chair Motivation
- How to Develop a Thicker Skin
- The Unconventional Guide to Working for Yourself
- The Purpose of This Website is to Lose Its Readers
- How to Figure Out What People Want
- Avoid the Zero-Sum Mind Trap
- Friday Links 08-10-02
- Is It Better to Read Books You Disagree With?
2008 • September
- Help Support Entrepreneurship: The Curry BizCamp
- Why Most Feedback Sucks
- I Hate 99% of All Productivity Gadgets
- Friday Links 08-09-19
- Why Good Deeds and Money Don’t Mix
- Don’t Forget Sunk Costs, Stupid!
- The 10 Best Productivity Articles
- Energy Management Is More Important for Creative Work
- Read More Than You Need to Know
- Know When to Stop Reading a Book
2008 • August
- Friday Links 08-08-29
- The Little Book of Productivity
- 7 Reasons Why the Gym is Better Than Therapy
- Would You Still Work If They Didn’t Pay You?
- I’m 20
- How to Become a Holistic Learner
- In Defense of Food
- Friday Links 08-08-08
- Weight, Traffic and Grades Aren’t That Important
- How to Think For Yourself
- Friday Links 08-08-01
2008 • July
- The Vast, Unstatable Importance of a Positive Attitude
- Schedule Footprints Vs. Deadline Counts: How to Hack Your Stress Levels
- Where Are The Friday Links?
- My Rebuttal to Steve Pavlina: Getting Started Without Skill
- How to Stay Motivated in Long Projects
- Is More Commitment Always a Good Thing?
- Friday Links 08-07-11
- Building Your Persistence Levels
- How to Measure Your Degree of Persistence
- Having Fun With Suicidal Productivity Missions
- The Beginner’s Guide to the 30 Day Trial: Part 2
- Friday Links 08-07-03
- The Beginner’s Guide to the 30 Day Trial
- Set a Higher Baseline
- A Really Cheap Solution to Overspending
2008 • June
- You Can’t Always Separate Wins From Losses
- Friday Links 08-06-27
- Need Little, Want Lots
- How to Stay Focused
- Stop Trying to Impress People
- The High Price of Paying Attention
- Friday Links 08-06-20
- Work, Retire… Then You Die.
- How Much Stuff Do You Need?
- Finding Motivation for Improbable Goals
- How to Improve Your Social Skills
- Friday Links 08-06-13
- The Goal of Learning Everything
- Get More From Life: A Gift For You
- Living a Completely Digital Life
- Social Independence
- Friday Links 08-06-06
- Social Skills and Dancing for Dummies
- Learn More, Study Less: Zen Habits Special Offer
- Why Making Money is More Fun than Having It
- Don’t Pay Yourself By the Hour
2008 • May
- Friday Links 08-05-30
- The Importance of Going to Bed Tired
- Email Zen Released
- The Value of Independence
- My Goals for Life
- Friday Links 08-05-23
- One Month Isn’t That Long…
- Selfish Volunteering
- You’re Allowed to Be Happy and Ambitious at the Same Time
- Be Ambitious With Goals, Not Deadlines
- Friday Links 08-05-16
- Want to Eat Healthier? Learn to Cook.
- Great Ideas are Valuable, But Extremely Hard to Recognize
- Be Unique, Be an Uber-Geek
- Would You Be Bored if You Had Everything?
- Friday Links 08-05-09
- Self-Confidence is an Oxymoron
- Shortcomings Create Your Opportunities
- Why Superman is a Bad Role Model
- Use Projects to Educate Yourself for Free
- Friday Links 08-05-02
- How to Avoid Making Stupid Mistakes
2008 • April
- The Key to Motivation: Forget Goals, Focus on Projects
- People Remember Your Screw-Ups, Not When You Help
- Why You Should Be a Geek
- Friday Links 08-04-25
- Keep a Journal to Solve Tough Problems
- Why Productivity?
- How to Stop Wasting Your Energy
- Can You Live With the Worst Case?
- Adam Smith’s Definition of Productivity
- Self-Improvement Tip: Ride the Wave of Moving Day
- You Don’t Need to Be an Expert
- How to be Relaxed, Even When You’re Busy
- Friday Links 08-04-11
- Are You a Maximizer or a Simplifier?
- Don’t Analyze The Anecdotes When You Need Data
- How to Finish Your Work, One Bite at a Time
- Should You Work on Your Strengths or Weaknesses?
- Friday Links – 08-03-04
- How to Keep Productivity from Making You a Robot
- 20 Tips to Survive When You’ve Overloaded Your Schedule
- Don’t Use Email for Conversations
2008 • March
- How to Become a Great Communicator
- Friday Links 08-03-28
- Do You Need More Effort or Better Opportunities?
- How to Setup a Killer Pre-Exam Warm Up Ritual
- Do Things to Do Them
- What’s Your Exit Strategy?
- Friday Links 08-03-21
- Harnessing the Virtue of Patience
- Should You Try to Boost Your Resume?
- 12 Speaking Errors That Make You Sound Dumb
- How to Sell Your Ideas Like a Movie Producer
- Friday Links 08-03-14
- Using Arete to Make Practical Decisions
- Arete: The Meaning of Life
- Post Number 500
- Eat Like a Statistician
- Friday Links 08-03-05
- Learn More, Study Less – Flow-Based Notetaking
- How to Speed Up Highly Creative Tasks
- Learn More, Study Less – Diagraming
- 9 Tips for Restarting a Habit After Falling Off the Wagon
2008 • February
- Learn More, Study Less Released
- Relax Without Feeling Lazy: Kill Open Loops
- If You Aren’t Getting Hate Mail, Your Writing Probably Sucks
- Stop Checking Your Web Stats Every Day!
- Productivity Tips from High-School Chemistry: Build a Motivation Catalyst
- Friday Links 08-02-22
- 7 Tips to Live a More Spontaneous Life
- 9 Tips to Clean Your Mental Palette
- Walk Your Talk… One Step at a Time
- How to Win a Debate Without Starting a Flame War
- Friday Links 08-02-15
- What’s Your Poverty Threshold?
- Are There Prerequisite Courses for Living?
- Make Your Time Top-Heavy
- 9 Things You’re Paying for that You Can Get for Free (Legally)
- Friday Links 08-02-08
- Why I Don’t Download Music
- 20 Tips for Batching to Save Time and Cut Stress
- Upgrade Your Entertainment
- 10 Tips for Staying Productive While Being Scheduled to Death
- Friday Links 08-02-01
2008 • January
- 7 Tips for Morning Alertness Without the Caffeine
- Sprinting Theory: How to Have Self-Discipline on Steroids
- The Power of Complements: Get Obsessive Results, Without the Obsession
- Riding the Tipping Point: 6 Tips for Using Exponential Growth
- Friday Links 08-01-25
- Keeping To-Learn Lists
- How to Start Projects You’ll Actually Finish
- Steal an Extra Hour With a Morning Ritual
- Partying and Personal Development
- Friday Links 08-01-18
- Decrypting Reality
- 9 Great Ways to Invest in Yourself
- Feeling Overwhelmed?
- Review of The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged
- Friday Links 08-01-11
- 20 Tips for Accelerating a Creative Flow
- How to Set Goals Creatively
- How to Find Creative Solutions to Non-Creative Problems
- How to Fuel a Creative Flow
- Friday Links 08-01-04
- Only Suckers Follow the Rules
- Quotes From Atlas Shrugged
- Is School Wasting Your Money?
2007 • December
- Should You Read More Fiction?
- Posts in 08, New Holistic Learning Book and Other News
- Friday Links 07-12-28
- Help Me Find Self-Education Resources
- What Aren’t You Going to Do Next Year?
- Friday Links 07-12-21
- Slow Down – The Hidden Key to Getting More Done
- How to Build Momentum Into Your Day
- Responses to When You’re Happiest
- How to Eat Healthier
- Friday Links 07-12-14
- 7 Reasons Not to Set a New Years Resolution in 2008
- When Are You Happiest?
- 9 Ideas to Overcome Discouragement
- Friday Links 07-12-06
- The Virtue of Failing Fast
- How to Keep a Laser Focus Without Burning Out
- 11 Tips to Get the Most From Your Days Off
2007 • November
- Friday Links 07-11-30
- How to Keep E-Mail From Wasting Your Time
- How to Build an Ironclad Personal Discipline
- The 6 Keys for Writing a Kick-Ass To-Do List
- Friday Links 07-11-23
- How to Stop Making Excuses
- Policies and Guidelines at ScottHYoung.com
- The Psychological Benefits of Optimism
- 9 Tips to Squeeze Exercise Into a Tight Schedule
- Why You Need to Run a Timelog (And How to Do It)
- Friday Links 07-11-15
- Tips for Maximizing Your Days Off (and Prevent Working 24/7)
- The Art of Lifestyle Design
- Making Money From Blogging
- How to Teach Yourself Anything in Less Than Three Months
- How to Debug Your Brain
- Book Review: Zen to Done
- 10 Tips to Be Accomplished and Instead of Just Busy
- 11 Easy Ways to Improve Memory
- Friday Links 07-11-02
- How to Run Life as a Science Experiment
2007 • October
- The Quickest Route is Usually the Boldest
- Are You Too Busy? Or Just Gutless?
- Why You Hate Work
- Help With New Holistic Learning Book
- Friday Links 07-10-26
- Can Partying Make You More Productive?
- The 7 Bad E-Mail Habits that Make People Want to Kill You
- How to Overcome a Leaky Brain in Your Studies
- How to Set Goals Without Craving Anything
- The Art of the Finish: How to Go From Busy to Accomplished
- How to Become an Effortless Achiever
- How to Not Want Things and Still Be Happy
- Save the World and Improve Your Life at the Same Time
- Site Maintenance
- Friday Links 07-10-12
- The Key to Escaping Toxic Motivation
- 15 Ways to Squeeze the Most From 15 Minutes
- Reader Question: How has this site helped you?
- The Virtue of Living Life Rationally
- Problems With the Site?
- Friday Links 07-10-04
- Please Show Me Why I’m Wrong
- 5 Simple Steps to Purify Your Hard Drive
- Use People as an Intelligence Catalyst
- How to Customize GTD to Fit Your Life
2007 • September
- Friday Links 07-09-28
- Are You Giving Yourself Busy-Work?
- How to Keep Bad Habits From Ruling Your Life
- Upcoming Interview on Be Happy Dammit
- Dodging Bullets: 7 Strategies to Handle Conflict
- Friday Links 07-09-20
- Goalless Action
- Creative Acceleration: 11 Tips to Engineer a Productive Flow
- How to Free Yourself from Time Poverty
- 9 Planning Traps and How Not to Get Caught
- Friday Links 07-09-14
- What Does Your Day Say About You?
- 50 Tricks to Study Better, Faster and with Less Stress
- The Seven Major Beginner Mistakes
- Friday Links 07-09-07
- Social Courage: How to Meet New People
- Don’t Confuse a Degree with Learning
- Posting Resumes Tomorrow
2007 • August
- Friday Links 07-08-31
- The Power of Humility: Why Confidence is Overrated
- The Critical 7 Rules To Understand People
- 9 Steps to Stop Information Poisoning
- Rational Versus Emotional Arguments
- Friday Links 07-08-24
- Nine Habits to Change Your Life
- 17 Tricks to Reclaim Your Stolen Attention
- Why Atheism?
- Slim Your Reader, Go on an RSS Diet
- I’m Nineteen
- Friday Links 07-08-17
- Blogging Superheroes
- 7 Tips to Find the Hidden Utility in Everything
- 14 Tips for a Less Materialistic Lifestyle
- The Future of Holistic Learning
- You Suck. Get Over It
- I’m Mentioned in Flak
- Friday Links 07-08-10
- How to Make Deadlines Work Using Hofstadter’s Law
- 7 Ways to Make Exercise Fun
- Find Your Personal Marathon
- How to Read 70+ Books in a Year
- How to Overcome Plateaus
- Friday Links 07-08-03
- 7 Steps for Starting a Financial Checkup
- Problem Solving Toolkit: 33 Tricks to Answer Tough Problems
2007 • July
- Give It To Me Straight – 11 Tips for Better Feedback
- 10 Tips for Enjoying Solitude
- What Do You Want to Do With Your Life?
- New Design is Up
- Friday Links 07-07-27
- Ten Steps to Cultivate the Now Habit
- 5 Methods For Cutting Needless Worry From Your Life
- Better Conversations: Collecting Life Stories
- Ten Skills Everyone Should Have
- Friday Links 07-07-20
- 20 Ways to Bring Order to a Busy Life
- How to Cut Out Timewasters
- I’m Back
- How to Live a More Creative Life
- How to Use Your Blog to Make Friends Online
- 10 Tips for Escaping Your Comfort Zone and Having Adventures
- 100 Good Ideas
- I’m Gone for a Week
- Friday Links 07-07-06
- Nine Tips to Stay Productive in a Spontaneous Life
- Ten Habits to Boost Your Happiness
- Do You Need to Be a Competitive Jerk to Succeed?
- GTD is Broken – Focus on Results, Not the System
2007 • June
- 20 Tricks to Boost IQ and Build a Mental Exercise Routine
- Friday Links 07-06-29
- How to Find a Meaningful Life – Without Quitting Your Job
- Quit Procrastinating! 20 Ways to Energize Out of Your Slump
- 10 Steps to Developing a Meaningful Life Philosophy
- Maximize Brainpower: Program a Function Library for Your Mind
- Stick Figure to Mona Lisa: 15 Tips for Becoming Artistic
- Friday Links 07-06-22
- The Zen of Folding Laundry and Other Thoughts on Happiness
- Budget Your Time: How to Use Deadlines
- Call to Lifehackers
- 10 Must-Have Steps to Getting Honest Feedback
- How to Change a Habit – Now Available
- Friday Links 07-06-15
- Beginner’s Guide to Lifting Weights
- Never Eat Alone
- 21 Not-So-Quick Tips to Improve Creativity
- Reclaim 75% of Wasted Net Time With a Daily Ritual
- The Effort Delusion – Why Hard Work Isn’t Enough
- Friday Links 07-06-08
- Rapid Prototype Your Life
- Upcoming E-Book
- Twenty Unique Ways to Use the 80/20 Rule Today
- Seven Ways to Live a More Balanced Life
- What Are Your Goals?
- Friday Links 07-06-01
2007 • May
- Be Yourself, Law of Attraction and Other Pieces of Bad Advice
- New Entrepreneur Mistakes and Thinking Different with Ben Casnocha
- Eliminate Boredom With These 12 Tips
- Is Willpower an Illusion?
- Get Happy: Making Decisions for Emotional Quality
- Friday Links 07-05-25
- What is Happiness? The Emotional Quality Model
- Twenty Ways to Stay Productive When Working at Home
- How to Handle Criticism at Lifehack.org
- 20 Procrastination Hacks
- Seven Tricks to Stop Forgetfulness
- Friday Links 07-05-18
- If at First You Don’t Succeed – Cheat
- The 4-Hour Workweek
- Do You Need People to Support You?
- Beyond Speed – How to Read Smart
- Want More Spare Time? The 7-Day Workload Detox
- Friday Links for 07-05-11
- Better Writing – How to Improve Your Style
- Solve Tough Problems by Using Lenses
- The Laziest Solution Possible
- Upgrade Your Core Menu – Healthy Eating Without Restrictions
- 29 Happiness Hacks to Feel Better Now
- Friday Links for 07-05-04
- Want to Wake Up Earlier? Remember DIPS
- Seven Rules for Enhanced E-Mail Communication
- Three Strategies for Enhancing Your Day
2007 • April
- Links for Getting in Shape
- Getting Lucky
- Friday Links for 07-04-27
- When Everything You Try Doesn’t Work, Break Cycles
- Get a Reality Check
- When Your Communication Fails, Check Your Layers
- Make Productivity Smooth By Reducing Friction
- New to Exercise? Make Workouts Daily
- Holistic Learning EBook
- Friday Links for 07-04-20
- Daydreaming Without Doing? Try Planning Without Commitment
- Improve Your Conversations With Stories
- Myth: Organization is the Key to Productivity
- Manage Your Energy at ZenHabits
- Want to Improve Your Fitness? Focus on Results
- How to Learn Holistically
- Ask For What You Want
- I Need Your Help
- Do Less to Be More Productive
- Avoiding Motivation Burnout
- How to Find Mentors
- Great Books
- Social Energy
- Gradual Dieting
- The Myth of Confidence
- Creating Your Own Religion
- Fake Your State
- Managing Stress with Daily Goals
- Are You Using Less Than One Percent of Your Brain?
2007 • March
- Empty Calories
- Studying and Holistic Learning
- I am Writing a Book
- How to Ace Your Finals Without Studying
- Maximize Your Reading Effectiveness
- Speed Reading Follow-Up
- Welcome Lifehacker.com Readers
- Responsibility Does Not Equal Control
- Be Decisive
- Planning the Unpredictable
- Be an Adult
- Writing Is
- Seven Ways to Improve Your Workout (Without More Time at the Gym)
- How to Become a Vegetarian
- Double Your Reading Rate
- How to Manage Stress
- Big Ideas Are Not Enough
- Success is Possible, But Harder Than You Think
- Break the Rules
2007 • February
- Set Worthy Challenges
- Imitate Your Way to Success – Osmosis
- Imitate Your Way to Success – Observation
- Imitate Your Way to Success – Instruction
- Imitate Your Way to Success – Introduction
- The Myth of Talent
- Guiding Your Emotions
- Long-Term Habit Changes
- Write What You Know
- The Optimists Dilemma
- Interview at Public Speaking For All
- Specializing VS Generalizing
- Skill Generalizing
- Achieving Impossible Goals
- Does Health Information Need to Be Complicated?
2007 • January
- Stress and Recovery
- Finding Passion
- A Glitch in the Universe
- How to Make Commitments You Will Actually Keep
- Upgrade Your Day
- Accepting Reality
- Faster Improvement Made Simple
- How to Get a Good Nights Sleep
- How to Build Skills Faster
- Profound Wisdom
- How to Change Your Beliefs
- How to Get in Shape
- Taking the Next Step
- Respect Your State
- Effective Goal Setting
- Back to Blogging
2006 • December
- Last Post for the Year
- Why New Years Resolutions Suck
- Creative Constraints
- Daily To-Do Lists
- How to Get Back Into a Good Mood
- Anchor Moments
- Absolute Decision
- Meet-Up With David Zinger
- Using Diagrams
- Seven Questions For When You Are Failing Miserably
- Donation Form
- Landslide Motivators
- Waiting for an Epiphany
- In Retrospect
- The Seven Keys to Leverage
2006 • November
- Now or Never
- Deciding What to Do With Your Life
- In Search of Valuable Ideas
- Getting What You Want
- Popular Posts for November 21
- Solutions to the Ten Biggest Obstacles to Growth
- Seven Steps to Superior Learning
- Finding Happiness
- Overcoming All the Little Things
- Discover Yourself in Twenty Minutes
- Why You Should Join Toastmasters
- A Drop of Success
2006 • October
- Changing Beliefs
- Personality Evolution
- Mastering Conversation
- Nine Steps Towards a More Interesting Life
- When to Quit Continued
- Ascending the Plateau
- I Will Be Happy When…
- When to Quit
- Using Pessimism
- Is Steve Pavlina Reading this Website?
- Don’t Be Yourself
- Putting it Into Practice – Emotional Mastery (Series)
- Persistent States – Emotional Mastery (Series)
- Energy and Emotions – Emotional Mastery (Series)
- Mental Patterns – Emotional Mastery (Series)
- Body Signals – Emotional Mastery (Series)
2006 • September
- Introduction – Emotional Mastery (Series)
- How to Get the Most Out of This Site
- Procrastination – Start Now (Series)
- Procrastination – Break It Down (Series)
- Procrastination – Introduction (Series)
- Utilizing Hidden Opportunities
- The Confidence Myth
- How to Overcome Fear
- Wade or Dive
- Imagination VS Experimentation
- A Fear a Day
- Overcoming Discouragement
- Rapid Habit Changes
- Beyond Introversion and Extroversion
- Thoughts on University
2006 • August
- Moving to University
- How You Should Pursue Personal Development
- Enjoy Taking Action
- Your Life is Already Perfect
- Dreams to Action
- Technical Problems Solved!
- Technical Problems
- The Best Decisions I Have Made
- Trial Periods – Beyond Habits
- Happy Birthday
- Transform Weaknesses Into Strengths
- 10 Ways to Improve Your Energy
- Energy VS Time
- Finding Truth in Information
- Take a Break From Goal-Setting
- Relationship Geeks – An Interview With Phil Gerbyshak
- Operate From the Highest Level
- Velocity-Based Goal Setting
- Review Your Progress
- Overcoming Obstacles
- Stay Flexible
- Get Organized
- Create an Unstoppable Drive
- Decide Exactly What You Want
- Why Set Goals
- Goals Free Chapters
- Make a Goal-Friendly Environment
2006 • July
- Post One Hundred
- How to Start a Fitness Regimen
- Find Your Personal Development Style
- How to Give Up Television
- How to Recover From a Broken Commitment
- How to Speed Up Your Learning Rate
- Goals an Interactive Guide
- Big Changes to ScottHYoung.com
- Interview: Energy Management with Emily Schwartz
- Another Four Letter Word
- Building Confidence with Constructive Embarrassment
- What Do You Need to Stop?
- The Reality of Focus
- Micro Habits
- I’m Back!
- Energy Management
- Link: Gods Debris
- Life as a Game
- Lateral Growth
2006 • June
- Gone Until July 17
- Career Intensity
- Shrink Obstacles
- Energize Your Mornings
- Living at Full Capacity
- Review – Patterns for Success (Series)
- Implementation – Patterns for Success (Series)
- Ideas – Patterns for Success (Series)
- Introduction – Patterns for Success (Series)
- Back to Basics
- Interview at Make it Great
- Efficient Internet/E-mail Usage
- Time Starved Personal Development
- Dealing with Frustration
- Nine Keys for Lasting Diet Change
- Popular Posts for June 3
2006 • May
- The Secret to Productivity
- Stumbling on Happiness
- Brush Off Failures
- Goal Setting Program
- Recover and Rejuvenate
- The Smallest Step
- Learn By Doing
- Popular Posts for May 16
- Decide Who You Want To Be
- Experimentation – Habitual Mastery (Series)
- Replacement – Habitual Mastery (Series)
- Leverage – Habitual Master (Series)
- Conditioning – Habitual Mastery (Series)
- Introduction – Habitual Mastery (Series)
- Balancing Today and Tomorrow
2006 • April
- Listen for Success
- Mastering Your Personal Resources
- The Other Half of Communication
- Exercise Every Day
- Let’s Be Honest
- Ten Minutes to a Better Tomorrow
- Why Should YOU Pursue Personal Development?
- When Personal Development Conflicts with Society
- Multimedia Project
- Where Did Your Day Go?
- Patience – Making Personal Growth Last (Series)
- Maintaining Motivation – Making Personal Growth Last (Series)
- Continuous Improvement – Making Personal Growth Last (Series)
- Intro – Making Personal Growth Last (Series)
- How to Stop Procrastinating
- How to Change a Habit
- Personal Development Myths
- Book A Day Challenge Complete!
2006 • March
- Vertical and Lateral Growth Continued…
- What is Personal Development? – Vertical and Lateral Growth
- The Book a Day Challenge!
- Living Up To Our Full Potential
- Getting Perspective
- Flexibility VS Focus
- Foster Creativity
- Personal Development as a Game
- Balancing Work and Leisure
- Control Emotions by Pretending
- Read for Success
- Be Imperfect
- Decide Now!
- Set an Unbreakable Standard
- Never Run out of Ideas Again
- Positivity and the Elephant
- How Much Time Do You Have?
- To the Teacher
- The World is Flat
- What is Important?